Forage brassica crops are an ideal complementary feed, especially when grass quality and quantity declines. Having high value feed and high yield during summer and winter, brassicas can also play an important role in pasture renewal.
Key benefits include:
• Out compete ‘bought in feed’ as a cost effective source of dry matter
• Produce large quantities of feed for a relatively low cost of production
• Be grazed where they are grown, eliminating additional costs associated with hay, silage and grain
• Break the perennial weed cycle using non-selective herbicides leading to weed-free pastures
• Break clover pest and disease lifecycles (Nematodes/viruses) for better clover content in subsequent pastures